Saw Palmetto extract is derived from the berries of the saw palmetto plant, which has the scientific name Serenoa repens. Several clinical studies of saw palmetto extract have shown it to have a beneficial effect on benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlargement of the prostate gland, although it is not approved by the FDA as a treatment for it.
Saw palmetto may have other uses in holistic medicine as well. Choosing the right saw palmetto extract is a matter of determining what benefit you hope to get from the supplement and then finding a manufacturer that you trust.
- May help to treat urinary tract infections.
- May help prevent and relieve symptoms of prostate enlargement (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia).
- May help to calm the irritated and overactive bladder occasionally associated with bedwetting.
- May help to reduce hormonal damage to prostate cells, possibly reducing the future risk of developing prostate cancer.
- May help to maintain healthy blood vessels, nerves and tissues.
- May help to lower cholesterol.
- May help as a tonic or expectorant for mucous membranes (particularly the bronchial passages).
- May help to inhibit testosterone action on the prostate, thus sometimes used for BPH treatment.
- May help to prevent binding of DHT to androgen receptors, hence helps with hair loss.
- May help to inhibit androgen and estrogen receptor activity and helps both men and women to balance hormones.
- May help to cure inflammation: herb helps treat bladder inflammation and helps with urinary flow.
- May help women to stimulate breast enlargement and to treat uterine irritability.
- May help to treat impotence, frigidity, and also used as an aphrodisiac.
- Some new evidence shows that it also may help with thyroid deficiencies.
- May help to clear chest congestion, treat coughs (expectorant).
One teaspoon (2 grams) a day.
Saw Palmetto Berry extract. Contains no fillers.
The various effects are not guaranteed and results may vary due to several factors between different people.
We strive to ensure the accuracy of the information provided by the manufacturers and recommend that you read all labels and warnings. However, the information is not a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Reviewers have not been compensated for their testimonials. Reviews in other languages than English are automatically translated.