Barrenwort – also known as Epimedium or Horny goat weed – is a traditional herbal plant that is used for different purposes. Particularly the active flavonoid component of barrenwort known as icariin is popular for their vitality increasing effect in men and women. Preliminary research indicate icariin may have fairly broad physiological effects as an anti-inflammatory antioxidant, in reducing stress and improving mood, but also in repairing bone fractures. Animal studies of rats have found a markedly decrease beta-amyloid-induced toxicity, i.e. the biological marker of the memory issues that usually emerge as we age.
- Barrenwort extract can be helpful in alleviating airway inflammation by decreasing the activities of some proteins that are responsible for the production of leukocytes in inflammatory areas in the lung, thereby helping with controlling the effects of asthma.
- In a study on the effects of the flavonoids derived from the epimedium plants on laboratory animals, it was found that many age related metabolites such as amino acids, unsaturated and saturated fatty acids etc. showed evidence of being reset at a younger level.
- Studies have shown that the administration of icariin has been able to increase the blood flow to the brain and showed improved learning ability and memory. The effect is mainly attributed to the plant’s antioxidant properties and its effect on the nerve impulses and the circulatory system.
- Icariin has proven to be an powerful supplement for bodybuilders and athletes, especially in the area of endurance and bodybuilding.
- Horny goat weed extract has been found to have dynamic effects of bioactivity longer than conventional menopausal treatments for women.
Take one capsule twice daily.
Barrenwort 20:1 extract (Epimedium brevicornum). Each capsule contains 340 mg of extract.
The various effects are not guaranteed and results vary due to several factors between different people.
We strive to ensure the accuracy of the information provided by the manufacturers and recommend that you read all labels and warnings. However, the information is not a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Reviewers have not been compensated for their testimonials. Reviews in other languages than English are automatically translated.